Thursday 10 November 2011

HR Leveraging from Social Media

I had a really interesting interview yesterday and was asked by the management team some thought-provoking questions on social media and how HR can leverage from this technology.  Now, I am sent to task to discover how does HR use social media effectively and prove the ROI?  I haven't been this stumped before in an interview!  I wanted to go behind the interviewer and take the white board marker and start brainstorming on the spot.  I didn't sleep well that night as I was really excited about these questions and how to tackle them. Hence, I am attempting to answer some of them in this social media forum--my blog and then add it to my linked-in and twitter account.  [it's like a 3 for 1 pizza deal]

I will also test the model by using the below YouTube video and forward to my friends, colleagues, etc.  I will use some broad labels (like meta tags) to see if that bumps up the usage on google.  I will try one or more tools like hootsuite.com or google.com/analytics to watch the numbers; to measure the effectiveness of these tools.  Who knows I might be fixated on the numbers like a trader is glued to the S&P.
I am so revved up on this subject that I may end up making this more than one blog with the help from the input/feedback from my followers. I feel I am on an adventure to uncover the secrets of the Cadbury chocolate bar--how do they get the caramel in the center?   So here I go for the quest of the holy social media grail.

More questions to explore
I have leveraged social media in the past for: recruitment, networking, sharing best practices, branding, staying current on trends, reading the news.   How else can we use this technology tool for hr purposes?  How do we measure ROI and the success social media brings to the hr table?   It is already hard enough to measure hr efforts as a lot of our work is unmeasurable.  How do you measure the intangibles like company culture?

Costs
The upfront cost is minimal to set up a social media account as a lot of tools are free and it is easily accessible to our fingertips.  [You can even do it in a housecoat sitting on the couch.] However, there is a significant cost when it comes to the investment of time and energy of the person(s) who are involved in putting in the data, revising it, reviewing followers, auditing and measuring the success of the social media campaign.   Also, one has to stay current on all the social media tools and metrics to measure some of the following:

Social media and Web 2.0, 3.0, 4.0.....
It includes blogs, social networks, bookmarking, wikis, mobile computing, Apps, online video, etc.  There are many available to you including: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia, Wordpress, Blogger, Flickr, Buzz, Digg, Google+, etc.

Like any business initiative you have to have a solid business plan and that ties in to the company's vision, mission, and culture.  You have to ask yourself what is that you want to measure and why?  The plan should also encompass who is going to lead the social media campaign, who is inputting the data, auditing content/feedback, costs, timelines, which sources to leverage, etc.  Once you have the stakeholder's buy-in, the plan established, and know what your successes are, then you can measure how your campaign is performing.


Please view the below YouTube video and read my next blog on ROI of social media campaign.....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post, Anita. Losing sleep because you're thinking about social media is better than staying up because you're using it :)

    Since there isn't a "right" way to use social media, the experimenters have an edge. They can become the leaders while others procrastinate. To get to the front of the line, Brian Tracy said we've got to get in line and stay in line.

    The ROI question is impossible to answer. What is the ROI on philanthropy and networking? Social media gives us tools to show our ongoing generosity. The giving changes us and others start noticing. If the focus is on an ROI, that gets noticed too. Sincerity is tough to fake.

    ReplyDelete