Friday 4 November 2011

Thought I would put pen to paper....or fingers to keyboard

Well this is my first blogging post and I already have writer's block.  I thought I would try this forum to put down my feelings, experiences as a job seeker for a way to journal my thoughts.  I firmly believe in helping others so I thought if I can garner enough unemployed people (should be in the millions) to share views--we can all rest one another's heads on this virtual shoulder.  I am doing this to help myself as well by learning from other's experiences.

What I find challenging about looking for another job/contract is the length of time in knowing where you stand.  The uncertainty of not knowing where I fit in the hiring manager's or recruiter's file.   I ask myself if I am in the 'no' pile, 'maybe' pile, or 'yes' pile.  I was a recruiter once myself and I know the game:   you get too many resumes, you shortlist them, you call people over the phone to screen them, if no one is suitable start again, if successful at the screening then bring the candidates in for an interview, bring them in for a second and even a third interview, then wait some more before the offer letter is cranked out, signed, sealed and delivered.  It is not easy being on either side of the recruitment table as the recruiter has a need to make the right hire quickly and the lack of knowing or control of the job seeker.  I understand the pain points of recruiters that sometimes the good ones get away.  I also know sometimes timing isn't on any one's side.

There are self doubts, the what-ifs, the shoulda, coulda, wouldas after the phone screen or interview.  Even when you do your best in creating an amazing resume, acing the phone screen/interview--you can still get the rejection email, letter or call. The best advice I can give is keep plugging along as the right job will come your way--these are lessons to be learned in the rejection process.

If I could give one piece of advice for recruiters and hiring managers is....to keep your candidate in the loop.  I know how busy recruiters, hr and hiring managers are as I have worn all three hats but we need to be respectful of people's time.  I am still a firm believer on what I told the first HR person I mentored "to make sure you call the people back that you did a phone screen and/or interview."  At the very least, in today's crazy, busy, technology obsessed society, please send an email to let the candidate know you are still in the process.   I have spoken with a number of job seekers and they have waited over a month for a call back after their interview.

As recruiters, hiring managers and professionals we need to keep in mind that our reputations are on the line as well as the organization we work for--if we do not respect peoples time it may affect the company's ability to attract superstar candidates down the road.


If anyone is reading this...what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with this. I recently had a job opportunity in Newmarket, Ontario and I was told that I would hear back within a couple of weeks. After a month I received a message saying "sorry for the wait, we are going through some internal difficulties and will get back to you soon."

    After another month I got in touch with them to hear that they had decided they did not have the budget to hire anyone. Their decision was understandable but being left out of the loop for so long was not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a company isn't good at keeping job candidates informed, maybe they're not going to be a great place to work.

    Waiting is part of life. The question is what do we do in the interim? Creating content (e.g. by blogging) and staying visible (e.g., in LinkedIn groups) both help.

    When looking for a job, you're selling yourself. The sales world is filled with waiting, uncertainty and rejection.

    Best wishes in a quick end to the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita
    I think it's safe to say you say what many are thinking. Like you, I have been a recruiter and a hiring manager, and believe it is nothing more than good manners to communicate with candidates about the status of their application.

    Being a job seeker is an incredibly humbling experience, filled with angst, self-doubt and roller-coaster of emotions. Every recruiter should become a job seeker at some point to regain their perspective!

    Love this post, and can't wait for the next one!
    Carola

    ReplyDelete